About the Project
This is the first iteration to build up to a full native cart and checkout experience. This feature allows customers to order a product for pickup in store with one button. Before this feature was released, the native apps relied on a web view of the website’s cart and checkout experience.
User researcher and product designer on both iOS and Android platforms.
Order Now Final Experience
Customer finds an item they want to pickup in store, then taps ‘Order Now For Pickup’.
We present the customer’s preferred payment method.
Customer enters the CVV.
Customer places order and they are done!
How did we get here?
Customer Pain Points
- Multi-step checkout
- Cart experiences are dependent on mobile web
- Web Cart is slow due to refresh issues (+7 seconds each refresh)
- Long development time to Native Cart and Checkout so Two-Step Purchasing gives us a value drop within the next few months
- Create a native experience so there is no reliance on web
- Shorten checkout time
- Ease frustration for one item purchases
- Treat signed in customers like we know them and their buying habits
- Get customers’ orders fulfilled quickly
Iterating to Native Cart and Checkout
- Only Pickup in Store fulfillments
- Adding Shipping and Delivery
- Adding ability to purchase products with services
- Create native cart and checkout based off of all of these features
MVP that was determined by working with tech teams and product management
- Customer has to be signed in
- Only available for pickup in store
- Can order only one SKU at a time
- Cannot use Lowe’s Credit Card
- Quantity selected by customer has to be equal or less than what is available at their store
A Bonus Update
Since we were going to be working on profile information, adding and editing payments and addresses, the tech team said they could implement some of my UI updates to the profile area. I gave it a more modern and clean look as well as updating the colors, buttons and form fields in the design system.
Testing the first version of Order Now
All participants found Order Now to be straight forward and very easy to use
1 participant stated he would rather go through the normal cart and checkout process
Customers might not understand it is only for pickup orders
Released April 2019
50% increase in conversion
Almost 21% increase in average order value
Increase in orders for pickup in store
People were still willing to buy big ticket items using Order Now
🎉 🎉 🎉